Monday, March 17, 2014

DIY Cheap Shelves!

My son was in need of some shelves in his room for his Skylanders and other items. I tried finding some easy ideas on Pinterest and wasn't able to find any that really just simple plain shelves. I went to Home Depot and spent roughly $17 dollars and made 2 shelves out of that. I picked up a 1x8x8 board and 4 brackets. I will post links to the ones I used. You can use which ever ones you choose. We liked the raw look so we didn't paint the shelves. You could stain them, paint them, or just let them be!

 First thing I had to do was measure the board so I could make 2 equal pieces. Since it was an 8ft piece I now have 2 four foot pieces. I used a yard stick to measure how high I wanted them to be and marked the wall with a pencil. I downloaded a level app on the Apple Store. I am sure Android has one as well. I used the level to make sure my brackets were even and to make sure the selves were even. I secured the brackets with some Phillips Drive Sharp Point 6x1-1/4 screws. They were some we already had so I am not positive how much these are but they shouldn't cost much.

After I got the shelves up and level, I secured the underneath part of the shelves to the brackets by using some short screws that we had in the drawer. I believe they were some I had left over from a set of mini blinds. Altogether it took me about 30 minutes to cut the wood with a handsaw and get them put on the wall.

IMPORTANT!! Make sure you find the stud when securing the brackets to the wall!

 LINKS
 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-x-8-x-8-2-Better-Kiln-Dried-Whitewood-Board-S4S-914835/100322328?N=5yc1vZbqmcZ1z0ywy9

 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-8-in-x-10-in-White-Shelf-Bracket-15252/202034282


No comments:

Post a Comment